6 Foods for better sex
There are many health benefits that come along with an active sex life, like improved immunity, lower stress levels, higher self-esteem and deeper sleep. But exactly how do you rev up your sex life so you can cash in on all these benefits? Start with the food you eat. In order for your body to function properly (and that includes sexual function) it needs all the right vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and phyto-nutrients. These “chemicals” help our body perform at its best and let’s face it sex is all about chemistry! So here are 6 foods for better sex.
1. Seafood: Oysters get all the attention as an aphrodisiac with good reason since they are loaded with the libido boosting mineral zinc. But other types of seafood like wild salmon and herring are a close second in the great sex race because of their high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega 3s help blood flow and blood flow keeps everything up and running in the bedroom.
2. Celery: OK guys, I know this is going to sound crazy but munching on a celery stick might just be the best way to get lucky tonight. Every stalk of the stuff is packed with androstenone and androstenol, two pheromones that can help you attract women “When you chew a stalk of celery, you release androstenone and androstenol odor molecules into your mouth. They then travel up the back of your throat to your nose,” says Alan Hirsch, M.D., author of Scentsational Sex. “Once there, the pheromones boost your arousal, turning you on and causing your body to send off scents and signals that make you more desirable to women.”
3. Liver: You may not think of liver as being sexy (if you do… that’s kinda weird) but it’s loaded with thiamin, niacin and riboflavin. These vitamins are essential for the function of the nervous system. Better nerve function means more stimulation and more powerful orgasms. Hey that plate of liver and onions just got a little sexier.
4. Vanilla ice cream: Ice cream contains high levels of calcium and phosphorus which are vital in building your muscle’s energy reserves and boosting libido. Calcium can also increase the intensity of your orgasms as it is involved in the muscle’s ability to fully contract. Why vanilla and not rocky road? The smell of vanilla is considered to be soothing and calming which will help you get in the right frame of mind.
5. Blueberries: Just call these tasty little berries mother nature’s Viagra (Hey they’re blue and everything!). “Blueberries are one of the best foods for older men with erectile problems,” says Mary Ellen Camire, Ph.D., a professor of food science at the University of Maine. “They’re loaded with soluble fiber, which helps push excess cholesterol through your digestive system before it can be broken down, absorbed, and deposited along the walls of your arteries,” she says. “They’re also packed with compounds that help relax your blood vessels, improving circulation.” Better circulation and improved blood flow will have you standing at attention in no time. Now all you have to do is wait to see who salutes.
6. Chocolate: not only is this yummy treat romantic, it also packs a chemical love punch. Cacao has PEA (phenylethylamine), the “love chemical,” which promotes dopamine production in the brain’s pleasure centers which peak at orgasm. PEA also inspires feelings of euphoria and attraction, which pair well with the tryptophans effects of relaxation. So indulge yourself with a little chocolate, turn the lights down low and get busy… benefitting from what good of sex can do for your health.