It’s always an interesting question, which came first the chicken or the egg? But recently a new question has been asked. Are you drinking diet soda because you’re fat or are you fat because you’re drinking diet soda? As strange as it may sound the answer to that question may be you’re fat because you’re drinking diet soda. Is it really possible that diet sodas make you fat? A University of Texas medical school study showed that people who drink diet sodas are 70 percent more likely to suffer an increase in waist size than those who don’t drink diet soda (a whopping average of two inches over course of the ten year study). A new 14 year study of 66 thousand women published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found some truly disturbing facts
- Diet sodas raised the risk of diabetes more than sugar-sweetened sodas!
- Women who drank one 12-ounce diet soda had a 33 percent increased risk of Type 2 diabetes, and women who drank one 20-ounce soda had a 66 percent increased risk.
- Women who drank diet sodas drank twice as much as those who drank sugar-sweetened sodas because artificial sweeteners are more addictive and are hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar.
- The average diet soda drinker consumes three diet drinks a day.
Now you might argue that people who are overweight and are about to get diabetes are probably drinking more diet soda, but the researchers scientifically controlled for body weight (i.e. they took how much someone weighed into consideration)and what they found was artificial sweeteners increased diabetes independent of body weight.
In fact many claim that diet drinks are actually worse than sugar-sweetened drinks. Why?
1. Artificial sweeteners can be hundreds of times sweeter than regular sugar causing you to crave even more sweetness in your diet.
2. The chemicals in diet sodas may be what some researchers are calling “obesogens” these chemicals are believed to disrupt hormonal balance and insight inflammation causing weight gain.
3. Artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking that sugar is on its way which causes your body to pump out insulin. This can cause the body to go into fat storage mode.
So it may be time to get off the diet soda and find a healthy alternative. Like the spa water recipe right here in My Life Fitness Authority Magazine.