Losing weight can be both difficult and frustrating. But here are five easy weight loss tips that can help you lose those last few pounds or push you through that plateau you’ve hit. These things aren’t going to have you dropping twenty pounds in twenty days, but making these little changes can be helpful in your battle of the bulge.
1. Fidgeting: OK I know this sounds crazy but it’s actually backed up by some pretty extensive research from some of the top medical facilities in the world, including the Mayo Clinic. It seems that tapping your toes, pacing, shaking your legs, drumming your fingers and generally moving around for most of the day seems to burn low levels of fats and sugars and keeps your metabolism humming along (take that Mrs. Lincoln my third grade teacher!). Sitting still for long periods on the other hand shuts down your metabolism allowing those fats and sugars to dump directly into your bloodstream and turning into saddle bags and love handles. So let’s keep it moving.
2. Stand up: If you stand absolutely still you will burn about 60 more calories in an hour than if you sit absolutely still. Which means if you stand for 10 hours you will burn 600 more calories than if you sit for 10 hours. Now most of us can’t (or don’t want to) stand for that long, but by standing more you will clearly burn more calories. It may not be a lot of calories but every little bit helps when you’re trying to lose weight.
3. Eat more fruits, vegetables and protein: Replacing fatty and sugary foods with fruits and vegetables and lean protein helps you lose weight in two ways. Most fruits and vegetables tend to be low in calories and high in fiber, which means they tend to fill you up but not burden you with too many calories that then need to be burned off. They are also nutrient dense which means your body recognizes its getting what it needs to function properly and doesn’t ask for additional food to get the nutrients it needs. Adding protein to your diet will help your feel satiated and less likely to raid the cookie jar.
4. Eat foods that will help you lose weight: Believe it or not, there are actually foods that will aid in weight loss. These foods do this by increasing your metabolism, improving insulin function, regulating appetite and regulating blood glucose levels. Want to know which foods? Become a subscriber and we will send you our free report on the 10 Miracle Foods that Can Actually Help You Lose Weight. Its not hard, just put your name and email in the subscriber box on the right side of the web page and we’ll send it right out to you.
5. Strength train: For years personal trainers (including me) focused primarily on cardio training when we tackled clients who wanted to lose weight. We weren’t totally wrong but we weren’t right either. While cardio training burns more calories while doing the activity than strength training, strength training raise the metabolism for several hours after the activity has ceased. On top of that the increased muscle mass means that your body needs to use more energy to keep up this new muscle mass. Bottom line; strength training gives you a toned lean body and helps burn fat.